On Thursday, NetEase announced in its unaudited financial results for the second quarter that it had generated RMB 24 billion ($3.3 billion) in revenue, a 3.7% increase on the same period in 2022. Net revenue from games and related value-added services amounted to RMB 18.8 billion ($2.6 billion), representing a 3.6% year-on-year increase. Games accounted for 78.3% of the company’s total revenue.
Why it matters: In the second quarter, NetEase’s games, including flagship titles Fantasy Westward Journey series and Eggy Party, performed steadily. NetEase’s two new hits Justice and Racing Master were only launched in late June so their contributions to the company’s gaming revenue will show in the next quarter. With the revenue from the new titles, NetEase Games’ third quarter performance is expected to accelerate.
Details: According to the financial reports, NetEase’s net revenue from mobile games accounted for approximately 73.6% of its online games income in the second quarter.
- Eggy Party continues to explore the combination of UGC (User Generated Content) ecology and AI technology. Game makers recently updated the UGC map editing function using AI, drawing in 26 million players to participate in creating new gaming maps, according to NetEase’s WeChat account. Declaring that Eggy Party was China’s most downloaded mobile game in Q2, as reported by local media outlet GameLook, NetEase now hopes to promote it in the European, North American, and Japanese markets this year.
- Released on June 30, open-world martial arts game Justice gained around 40 million domestic players in July. The game employs AI generated avatars and dialogues. Young players have flocked to the game, generating huge amounts of UGC content on social media. On micro-blogging platform Weibo’s discussion forum, Justice ranked fourth in terms of popularity for mobile games at time of writing, with 544,000 posts from players.
- Racing Master topped the iOS download list in China for 10 days following its domestic debut on June 20. According to the game’s Weibo account, its pre-registered players exceeded 30 million on June 17. The company is expected to start overseas testing soon.
- NetEase took the opportunity of unveiling its latest results to announce a brand new free-to-play open-world RPG title Project Mugen, for which pre-registration opened for players globally on Thursday.
- A trailer for the action-adventure game highlighted its anime stylings and a high-quality open cityscape supported by Nvidia DLSS 3 technology, according to GameLook. Project Mugen reportedly marks the first domestic GTA (Grand Theft Auto) game using AI technology that combines racing, parkour, role-playing, and combat in the open-world of an urban city. The industry is viewing it as an upcoming competitor to HoYoverse’s Genshin Impact in revenue terms.
Context: In July, NetEase’s Justice secured third place in the global mobile game market by revenue with a figure of $113 million, according to analytics firm SensorTower.
- As for July’s iOS mobile game revenue charts in China, NetEase’s Justice, Racing Master, and Eggy Party ranked second, ninth, and eleventh respectively.